Over 99% of the U.S auto makers have agreed to make automatic emergency braking (AEB) a standard feature on virtually all new cars by September 1, 2022. The consensus is this will make the technology standard in new cars three years earlier than going through the formal regulatory process. During those three years it is estimated 28,000 crashes and 12,000 injuries could be prevented, according to Insurance Institute for Highway Safety estimates.
Committed auto makers:
Audi Honda Mazda Subaru
BMW Hyundai Mercedes-Benz Tesla Motors Inc.
FCA US LLC Jaguar Land Rover Mitsubishi Motors Toyota
Ford Kia Nissan Volkswagen
General Motors Maserati Porsche Volvo Car USA
Source: The Standard, March 25, 2016
April 7, 2016 No Comments
Arbella Insurance and MAPFRE (Commerce) Insurance offer auto policy discounts for donations to specific partner organizations:
- Arbella: 6% discount for a minimum donation of $50 to any of the following organizations:
- Jimmy Fund/Dana Farber
- Special Olympics of Massachusetts (SOMA)
- Melanoma Foundation of New England
- MAPFRE: 5% discount for a minimum donation of $25 to the Pan-Mass Challenge.
The discount is eligible for current policy year only, meaning each year you make the donation you can receive the discount. It does not automatically renew, proof of donation is required each year.
This discount can only be added on policy renewal but the donation can be made in the 12 months prior to your policy’s effective date.
If you donate to one of these worthy organizations anyway, may as well send us the receipt so you can receive the discount. And if you don’t, you have an additional reason to help others.
Questions? Just ask. That’s why we are here.
March 10, 2016 No Comments
In its comprehensive study of the crash videos of teenage drivers, AAA found distractions were a factor in nearly 6 out of 10 moderate-to-severe teen crashes. That figure is four times higher than many official estimates based on police reports.
The most common forms of distraction include:
Interacting with one or more passengers – 15%
Cell phone use – 12%
Looking at something in the vehicle – 10%
Looking at something outside the vehicle – 9%
Singing/moving to music – 8%
Personal grooming – 6%
Reaching for an object – 6%
From The Standard, April 17, 2015
April 24, 2015 No Comments
New “Wipers On, Lights On” Law
Effective April 7, 2015, drivers are required to turn on your on your headlights and taillights whenever conditions require you to use your windshield wipers. If cited, the law allows you to be charged a fine and puts a “minor surchargeable traffic violation” on your driving record (which lasts up to 6 years).
Keep safe and keep it simple: when your wipers are on, your lights should be on as well.
April 13, 2015 No Comments
Car-Sharing and Ride-Sharing Services
Using your own automobile for “car-sharing” or “ride-sharing” has become a popular practice in Massachusetts. It seems like a great example of the innovation economy. Letting someone else drive your otherwise-idle car, or using your own vehicle to transport another rider for an agreed-upon price — what could go wrong? Actually, a lot! The Massachusetts Division of Insurance has issued a Consumer Alert: CarSharingConsumerAlert.
August 14, 2014 No Comments
October 16, 2013 No Comments
It is “toy” season! Verify registration and insurance status of the good weather vehicles (motorcycles, boats, trailers, convertables) before using them.
May 3, 2013 No Comments
Companies offer a discount for insuring more than one car:
- Arbella Insurance
- 2+ cars insured with Arbella 5% discount
- On the same policy, another 2% discount
- Commerce Insurance 8% discount
- Norfolk & Dedham Mutual Insurance Up to 10% discount
- Travelers Insurance 10% discount
October 25, 2012 No Comments
Some personal auto carriers reward customer loyalty:
- Arbella Insurance applies a credit of 1% of the total policy premium after 12 months of continued coverage.
- Commerce Insurance has several combining factors:
- Years of continued coverage with Commerce
- Years licensed for the assigned driver
- Merit Rating Group (driving record)
- AAA Membership – active and number of years
October 10, 2012 No Comments
Commerce Insurance offers a discount for “helping to save the world” – a Green Discount. Receive 3% off your total premium by doing both of the following:
- Receiving your documents electronically (by email)
- Using an electronic billing option
- Ebills by email each month (pay them any way you want)
- EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer) each month – automatically taken from your bank account
If applicable, the 5% Paid In Full discount will supercede the Green Discount.
October 2, 2012 No Comments